Multicultural diversity dinner celebrates civic leaders

CBS correspondent Bill Whitaker (Lesley ’08, Billy ’06) will emcee the fourth biannual Celebration of Multiculturalism Diner April 11.

Honorees will be past President of Harvard-Westlake Parents’ Association Renee Brooks (Lizzy ’08, Veronica ’01), Medical Director of AIDS Programs and Policy, L.A. County of Public Health Founder and Chair of Harvard-Westlake’s African American Alumni Network Jan King ’80, Director of New Roads Elementary School Pat McCabe ’74, and co-founders of the Latino Parents’ Association Tonie Pimienta (Antonieta ’07, Andrea ’09) and Helen Weston (Liana ’07, Tamara ’05).

The annual Frederick Douglass Award will also be presented to a current Harvard-Westlake student “in recognition of his or her contributions toward diversity, equity and justice,” Parents’ Activities Liaison Portia Collins said. The honoree for the award was selected by faculty and staff and will remain secret until the evening of the event.

Hosted by the Advancement Office, the Multiculturalism Dinner was held for the first time in 2003 to celebrate members of the Harvard-Westlake community who have “assumed the obligation of leadership in civic, professional social activities to the promotion of equity, justice in a democracy,” Collins said. Past honorees include Shain Byard ’02, Abby Harris ’94, Adam Sofen ’97, Orlantha Ambrose ’99, and Brenda Simon.