Seniors parents bond at LACMA, beach

Senior girls in sundresses mingled with their mothers among the works of Jasper Johns, Andy Warhol and Jeff Koons while fathers and sons heard former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda speak at the separate Mother-Daughter and Father-Son events on Sunday, April 13.

Mothers and daughters could take free docent tours of the new Broad Contemporary Art Museum at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, and then attended a tea.

Before getting their seating cards, they were directed into a room where a photographer would take their picture and it would later be framed as a party favor.

After introductions by parent coordinators Ellen Williams (Natalie ’08), Julie Platt (Hannah ’08) and Sherry West (Carrie ’08), mothers and daughters snacked on scones, tea sandwiches and desserts.

The coordinators opted against having a speaker at the traditional event.

At the Jonathan Club, 90 degree heat did not stymie Lasorda. In a speech to senior boys and their fathers, Lasorda stressed the importance of the hard work and self-determination needed to get places in life.

Lasorda continually repeated that “when one door closes, another one opens,” and “God may delay but does not deny.”

Lasorda recalled stories of past speeches he had made to military academies, as well as multiple stories from his time spent managing in Major League Baseball. He told the story of the time he met George “Sparky” Anderson, the longtime manager of the Cincinnati Reds at mass before a game.

Lasorda said that he and Anderson both came to pray for victory before the game.

“He was a very eloquent and inspirational speaker,” Nick Cuse ’08 said. “I think he was the perfect fit for this kind of an event because he spoke very much like a motivational father.”

Each senior boy was given a gift bag complete with a candy bar and a copy of the book “Posterity: Letters of Great Americans to Their Children” by Dorie McCullough Lawson.

The intense heat caused a lack of participation in the beach volleyball game despite multiple challenges from the duo of Upper School Dean Jason Honsel and Upper School Dean Jonathan Wimbish.

Yet the game was still competitive as Honsel and Wimbish joined a small group of fathers to take on a group of senior boys. No scores were kept.