Girls’ golf seeks redemption

By Cary Volpert

The girls’ varsity golf team will seek vengeance on Notre Dame and the rest of the Mission League when it kicks off its season against Chaminade at home on Sept. 23. Last season, the squad placed second in the league after losing to Notre Dame by one stroke.

“It was really tough to lose by just one stroke when you play so many rounds of golf during the season,” Alex Green ‘09 said. “In golf you rarely come down to one stroke. It has happened only twice in my career here at Harvard-Westlake.”

The team is determined to win the Mission League this year after the crushing loss last season.

“Of course it was difficult to hear the news of our one stroke loss, but we worked hard and next year we’ll just try harder and strive for first,” Tiffany Yang ‘10 said. But becoming the Mission League champs is not the only thing on players’ minds.

“I hope that we as a team work hard as a whole and become the champions in our Mission League,” Yang said. “I also hope we qualify for the CIF team finals.”

Players put confidence in Head Coach Amy Alcott for the year ahead.

The players say that Alcott notices the little nuances in golf that make her a great coach and teacher.

“When she came to our practices, she would notice small details in our swings and gave helpful advice to work out the kinks in our follow-throughs,” Yang said.

With Alcott moving to the Program Head position, former assistant coach Linda Giaciolli will become the Head Coach and newcomer Lisa Grimm will become the program’s assistant coach.

In addition to the personnel changes, the team will also welcome back Charlotte Abrams ’09 to the team after she spent her junior year in Spain.