New staff faces make way on campus

Jim Crawford

Jim Crawford, owner of CJL Security Inc., the security company that guards both the Middle and Upper Schools, became Head of Security in July.

Crawford started as a Los Angeles Police Department officer in 1980 and joined the school as a night security guard in 1981 at Harvard.

During the early years of his career, Crawford worked patrol at different divisions while night guarding at the school. In 1999, he became a detective and investigated gang homicides for nine years.

Crawford worked as a police officer and detective while maintaining CJL Security Inc., a company he founded in 1981 when the school requested a security service.

“I’ve been here for almost 30 years.” Crawford said. “I know most of the students and teachers which has made the transition easier.”

Crawford hopes to train students and teachers alike in an effective lockdown technique that will make the response time to crises quicker.

“Security has changed and violence has become a big security issue across our country,” said Crawford.

Security guards are now being trained in stimulated crisis situations. The guards carry guns and are able to respond to crisis anywhere on the campus in one minute.

Crawford also wants to be more available to teachers and students. He plans plans to be more active in the school by talking to more students and speaking at class meetings.

“I think we have one of the best security systems in the nation and the school security is on a different level,” said Crawford.

— Neha Nimmagadda

Jennifer Lamkins

Jennifer Lamkins is the new technology integration specialist. She will serve the faculty by developing curriculum that utilizes technology.

She has been teaching since 1988 and is originally from Riverside County.

“I was chosen to be a teacher before I actually decided to be one,” Lamkins said.

“One of my mentors ‘discovered me’ after observing me work with some folks at work one day, asked me if I had ever considered teaching. I was offered a full scholarship to complete a master’s [degree] in teaching and I fell in love with teaching kids.”

Lamkins has taught high school and middle school, and has mentored other teachers on how to work technology into their teaching. She previously worked at California State University, Long Beach.

Lamkins will teach students how to integrate technology into their school work.

Lamkins’ plan for the upcoming year is “to get an idea [of what the teachers] want to learn, I want to work with a couple of departments exclusively.”

Lamkins will mostly be working with the English and History departments.

Lamkins said that at Harvard-Westlake “there is a desire to always improve, a desire to always get better.” She said she enjoys Harvard-Westlake’s “friendly and welcoming atmosphere.”

— Jordan McSpadden

Steve Shaw

After a four year hiatus, Steve Shaw ’71 has resumed his work at Harvard-Westlake, marking his 21st year at the Upper School.

Shaw has previously held the positions of Dean of Students, yearbook adviser, journalism teacher and boys’ water polo and swimming coach, and is now the head of Afternoon Prep.

“I found that I missed the life of the school where I have spent so much of my life. It’s like home to me,” Shaw said.

Afternoon Prep, previously known as Study Hall, is an after-school study session geared towards student-athletes who have late practices and games.

From 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Mondays and 3 to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, athletes are required to meet in the Seeley G. Mudd Library.

The goal of the program is to provide study time for athletes before practices and games, rather than late at night.

Although similar programs have existed in the past, Shaw assures that he will use a different approach this time around.

“I will be personally involved in helping the students as much as possible,” Shaw said.

“I see this as a great opportunity to work with the students, primarily academically, but in peripheral ways as well, such as time management and study skills.”

Shaw feels that the structured time will benefit athletes not only in the classroom, but only on the field.

“I firmly believe that being a better student leads to being a better athlete, and vice-versa. The skills overlap,” Shaw said.

“[I am looking forward to] returning to the Harvard-Westlake community, working with the faculty, administration and staff, and most of all being in a position to help the students however I can.”

— Candace Ravan