Student filmmakers enter festival screenings

Two film festivals selected Harvard-Westlake student films for screenings at fall festivals.

Video arts teacher Cheri Gaulke was given an award at the erkeley Film Festival, hich featured six student-made films.

Evan Hamilton’s ’07 “The Life and Times of Buster Chaplin,” and “Broken,” Max Grey ’08 and Drew Foster’s ’08 “Ticklish,” Michael Stampler’s ’09 “Castle Made of Sand” and Sebastian Spader’s ’08 and Patrick Hibler’s ’08 “Ridden” were shown at the festival in the Youth Producer section.

The festival accepts films by producers of different age groups.

Films were first submitted to prescreening by jury members who select films for final theatrical screening.

All films were divided into categories based on the age of the director. Awards were given to films within each category.

The youth jury of the Reel Youth Festival selected three student-made films to show on Oct. 8 and 9.

The festival featured”The Artist,” the film Noor Fateh ’11 made during the Harvard-Westlake summer video art program starring Jennifer Plotkin ’11, .

Zelda Wengrod’s ’13 “The Night in Question” starring Henry Woody ’13 and Elizabeth Barcay’s ’07 “Sunny Road” was also featured.

The Reel Youth Festival is part of the Vancouver International Film Festival and showcases short films made by youth 19 years and younger.