Equestrian competes in four shows

By Austin Block

The equestrian team placed fifth overall in the varsity division and the team as a whole finished 11th overall on Oct. 26 in the first of its four shows scheduled this year at the Hansen Dam Equestrian Center.

“I think the sense of team support is one of our biggest strengths. We have a close-knit team, and the riders like to cheer for the other riders when they are able to watch them ride,” Head Coach Christa Choe ’94 said.

Team Captain Phoebe Novack ’09 led the Wolverines in the varsity division, scoring 15 points and tying for 22nd. She was followed by Kristen London ’10, Corinne Miller ’12 on her house Lucille, Emma Gerber ’12 on Celano, and Ariana DuBelko ’12 on her horse, La Luna.

Olivia Nathanson ’10 tied for 29th place in the first tournament with 13 points in the JV division on Time to Believe by participating in both the JV Equitation and Hunter sections, earning 11 points and 14th place in the Hunter section and getting the remaining two points in the Equitation section.

Rebecca Kelly ’09 (48th) scored five points on Amigo in the JV Hunter section.

Caity Murhpy ’11 (52nd) scored the remaining four points on Mysster E in the JV Dressage section to round out the Wolverine scoring in the JV division.

“I think last year we started out stronger, but we’re going to get better this year,” Novack said.

The team’s next match will take place on Dec. 7 at the Hansem Dam Equestrian Center in Lake View Terrace.