Television screens in Rugby to enable students to watch Inauguration

By Cody Schott

Families converged on Dodger Stadium as if it was April, but replacing Dodgers players Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp, and Manny Ramirez in the outfield were current students, parents, alumni, and children.

Chavez Ravine was the site of this year’s family night Jan. 24, organized by the Office of Advancement. Frank and Jamie McCourt (Casey ’05 and Gavin ’09), principal owners of the Dodgers, hosted the event at their stadium.

The “fun-raiser” offered the opportunity for families to hit inside the clubhouse batting cage, pitch from the pitching mound or the bullpen, and to run the bases.  Many also took the opportunity to bring their baseball gloves and played catch in the outfield.  Tours of the ballpark were also offered for those who were interested.

The guests were treated to the customary Dodger Dog as well as burgers, chips, peanuts, Cracker-Jacks and cookies.

The Office of Advancement took pictures of families at the entrance, and will eventually e-mail these pictures to each family as a memento of the evening.

Everyone was brought together at around 6:30 p.m. for remarks by President Thomas Hudnut and the McCourts.  The theme was centered on family, with Jamie McCourt talking about how Harvard-Westlake welcomed her to Los Angeles like a family.  Hudnut re-iterated this point to everybody in attendance.

“Harvard-Westlake is always your home,” Hudnut announced to the crowd.