Girls basketball triumph in CIF finals

By Alex Edel

For the first time since 2001, the members of the girls’ basketball team are champions. With just 33 seconds left in Friday’s game, Nicole Hung ’10 shot a layup to win the Southern Section Div. IV CIF title, defeating Pacific Hills 59-57.

“We knew that the team we were playing [Pacific Hills] was going to be really aggressive. We really had to maintain our composure and not panic. The first few positions of the game we did panic but we did regain our composure,” Hung said.

Pacific Hills played aggressively, resulting in Nicole Nesbit ’10 cutting her chin and getting hit right under her eye. She continued to play after getting bandaged up, but Saturday, Nesbit got stitches in her chin and has a black eye.

The Wolverines were winning 38-36 at the half but the Pacific Hills defense caught up to them in the third quarter. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, despite being down 48-41, the team stepped up and tied the game at 57-57.

“It was the last chance and we just had to leave everything we had on the floor. It was the most important quarter and it was all about wanting it,” Hung said.

Sophomore Skylar Tsutsi ’11, was able to block a shot from Pacific Hills and grabbed the rebound. Although she missed both free throws she kept the score tied and Hung was able to score a winning shot.

The Wolverines will play their first state match early next week.

“We want to continue to play as we are right now with the same intensity and come out with the same outcome as in CIF,” Hung said.