Three Wolverine teams head to CIF Finals

By Sam Adams

Both boys’ and girls’ basketball won CIF championships this weekend. Girls’ soccer lost, but still competes in the first round of state on Tuesday.

With less than a minute on the clock, junior Nicole Hung hit a field goal Friday night, giving the girls’ varsity basketball team a 59-57 victory over Pacific Hills in the CIF  Div IV-A championship game.

It was the first time since 2001 that the girls’ team had reached the finals.

On Saturday morning at the Honda Center, the boys’ basketball team gave Coach Greg Hilliard his eighth Southern Section title in 24 years as a coach. Erik Swoope contributed 20 points to the Wolverines’ 87-75 victory over Cerritos Gahr.

Girls’ soccer also played in a CIF championship Friday night, falling to Saugus, 2-1.

“It’s a testament to the hard work of our players and coaches,” Head of Athletics Audrius Barzdukas said, “but it’s also a testament to the Mission League, which shows how well the gauntlet of league play and the caliber of competition prepare our teams for the postseason.”

Boys’ basketball reacked the CIF Finals for the first time in three years. The last time they reached the round, the team fell to Artesia. The same year, girls’ soccer fell in the championship game as well.

The girls’ basketball team played at Mater Dei, only hours before the girls’ soccer squad faced Saugus in Downey at 7:30 p.m.