And all that jazz

By Jamie Kim

The fourth annual Harvard-Westlake Jazz Festival will feature eight professional jazz musicians and raise money for the Inner City Arts Foundation on April 18, student coordinator Charlie Fogarty ’10 said.

“The show is going to be an incredibly rare and incredible experience because this group of eight professionals will only be playing together this one time. The eight pros are truly inspirations in the jazz world,” Fogarty said.

The featured professionals include bassist Marcus Miller, saxophonist Bob Sheppard, pianist Alan Pasqua, drummist Bernie Dresel, trombonist Bob McChesney, and trumpetist Chris Tedesco. They will be performing together at the show in an “All Star Combo.”

The 55 students attending will be divided into two big bands and two combos. Each big band will be under the guidance of three professionals and one conductor. From 10 am to 5 pm the pros and the students will be playing together in an intensive rehearsal, prepping for the evening show. There will also be two vocalists, one singer from Crenshaw High and Harvard-Westlake’s own Nora Rothman.

The Jazz Festival this year is supported and endorsed by West LA Music and K-Jazz 88.1. K-jazz has agreed to promote the event on the radio.

Proceeds from the event will go to the Inner City Arts Foundation, which restores the loss of music and arts courses in LA public schools by offering free courses in music, painting, dance, and other performing and visual arts to underprivileged students from over 30 schools near downtown LA. This year, the co-founder and director of The Inner City Arts, Bob Bates, will be speaking before the performance. 

Tickets for the show only cost $15, and can be purchased through the HW box-office. The event is open to the public. Last weekend, another Harvard-Westlake jazz event, the Jazz Combo Concert, featured every Harvard-Westlake jazz combo. On Saturday and Sunday, combos such as the Jazz Explorers, the Advanced Jazz Combo and the Shawn Feldman Combo, performed in Rugby Theater.