CalHiSports names Hung, Nesbit ‘Elite Athletes’ in state

By Alex Edel

After traveling throughout California, reporters from CalHiSports.com rated both Nicole Hung ’10 and Nicole Nesbit ’10 as elite basketball players of California.

Hung was rated 16th and Nesbit was rated 37th out of the almost 1,000 athletes that were evaluated.

CalHiSports.com is an ESPN affiliate that focuses on high school sports in California.

The website produces blogs that have to do with baseball, basketball, football, state rankings and state records.

The blog, titled, Girls of Summer: 2009 Final California Report, ranks the basketball players with a 16 point rating system.

In order to qualify for the report each girl must be personally seen in at least one game by a member of the CalHiSports.com reporters.

The girls are then rated on a dot system of four grading periods. To get a perfect score, a player would have to score four dots per game to total 16 points.

The points are given in areas including speed, quickness, passing abilities, consistency, teamwork, and range of shooting, free-throw shooting defensive intensity, body positioning and footwork on defense; stamina and endurance, left and right hand abilities to shoot and dribble, blocking out and rebounding, attitude and demeanor, teamwork, performing in the clutch, level of competition and other elements of the game.

To qualify for the list, a player must earn a minimum of nine points, or average 2.5 points per game. Hung earned a score of 13.75 points and Nesbit scored 11.95.

“It feels pretty good to be ranked relatively high. When you put in work, it is nice to have it pay off,” Nesbit said.

Hung is being recruited by Harvard, Princeton, Yale and Arizona State.

Nesbit verbally committed to UCSB around three weeks ago after being recruited by Pepperdine, Colorado State, Montana State, LMU and a few others.

Both seniors were on the team that went to the state quarterfinals last year, and the team is returning their entire roster this year.

Their overall record last year was 22-10 and their league record was 8-2.

They took the CIF title with a two point win against Pacific Hills.

Hung led the team in the most points scored throughout the season, scoring a total of 600 points last season.

She also made 96 out of 117 free throws throughout the season.Nesbit scored a total of 312 points last season, averaging 9.8 points per game. She had the leading amount of assists with 118 throughout the year.

Nesbit, Hung and Haydel will start the season with the rest of the team at the Mater Dei Tournament starting Dec. 7.

They will then travel to the Nike Tournament in Phoenix Arizona starting Dec. 17 and from there they will play in the West Coast Holiday Classic at Beverly High School starting Dec. 26.

Their first league game is scheduled for Jan. 7 against Chaminade.