Golf finishes 2nd in league

By Alex Leichenger

A second place finish in league finals capped an 8-2 season for the girls’ golf team. The squad placed one spot behind league champion Notre Dame at Balboa Golf Course Oct. 26 after winning its last three Mission League dual matches.

Emily Firestein ’11 and Melanie Borinstein ’11 earned berths in the Mission League Individual Championship Oct. 28 at Calabasas Country Club by leading the Wolverines with scores of 83 and 86, respectively, on the 18-hole league final course.

By finishing in the top five among Mission League golfers, Firestein and Borinstein advanced to the Northern Individual Regional round of the CIF Southern Section Individual Championships Nov. 3 at Soule Park Golf Club in Ojai.

It was the first time that Firestein advanced to CIF and the second time for Borinstein, who qualified last season.

“It’s really exciting to be playing with girls from all different leagues and schools, so I’m glad that I got to be a part of the championship round again,” Borinstein said.

Firestein missed the cut needed to qualify for the Southern Section Finals by one stroke, shooting an 82. Borinstein shot a 93.

Head Coach Linda Giaciolli said she was “very, very proud” of the team’s performance in league play. The 2008 Wolverines went undefeated en route to a league title, but Giaciolli attributed much of the drop-off this year to the loss of veteran Charlotte Abrams ’09.

“With Charlotte not coming back this year, we didn’t have that in our arsenal, to field a team with the same depth,” Giaciolli said.

“Some days were better than others, but I don’t think that there is anything that we could have done differently this year,” Firestein said.

The team collectively decided not to attend CIF Finals this year. Not enough players were available to fill the required six-golfer roster, due to personal issues or other commitments, Giaciolli said.

Next year, the team will lose 2008 Mission League Most Valuable Player Tiffany Yang ’10, but Firestein, Borinstein, and three freshmen golfers will return.

Although Giaciolli said she will greatly miss Yang and fellow departing seniors Jamie Kim and Monica Chen, she is excited for the potential of her returning players, in particular freshman Amanda Aizuss.

“[Aizuss] is one of the most talented players the team has ever had and will have,” she said.