Volleyball grabs undefeated league record with 10 wins

By Jonah Rosenbaum

After sweeping league play with a record of 10-0 and winning thirty straight sets, the girls’ volleyball team enters CIF playoffs as a number one seed.

“We played great in the Mission League,” Kellie Barnum ’11 said. 

“We played an incredibly tough non-league schedule, and that prepared us.  Playing the best teams in the country showed us where we needed to improve, and all of our hard work in practice really paid off,” Barnum said.

Senior outside hitter Meg Norton ’10, who was a part of the state championship team of two years ago, said that the team is playing at its best as they approach playoffs.

“To win league is a great accomplishment and going undefeated is a great accomplishment.  But not losing a set is an incredible accomplishment and I’m really proud of the team and how much we’ve improved,” Norton said.

Still, success in the Mission League is not always indicative of playoff success.  Last year, the team went 10-0 in league, but fell to Lakewood 3-2 in the second round of the CIF playoffs.

“After what happened last year, we know that we can’t relax just because we were successful in league. We have to compete in every game all the way until the end of the season,” Norton said. 

The team’s first playoff game was Tuesday, and results can be found on at www.chronicle.hw.com.