Wrestling to begin tournament competition

By Jonah Rosenbaum

After two “duel” matches, which are treated as scrimmages, the boys’ wrestling team heads into tournament play this Friday at the Rosemead Invitational.

The team is comprised of several inexperienced but talented wrestlers, and is anchored by Ben Kogan ’11, Nick Truer ’10, and Patrick Newman ’10. Kogan went 9-0 at the Camarillo Duel and Truer finished 9-1.

Jake Sonnenberg ’11 had a strong showing as well, winning eight of his nine matches.

“This is a learning experience for a lot of these kids, and I’ve been really impressed with them so far,” said Head Coach Gary Bairos. “We’re a young, hardworking team that is going to keep getting better. A lot of these guys have never wrestled before and they are already competing at a very high level. Each time they wrestle it’s a good learning experience.”

First year wrestler Tennyson Turner ’10 agreed with Bairos’ assessment.

“We have a lot of new guys like myself, but we’re progressing at a fast rate and hopefully our hard work will pay dividends by the time league play comes around,” Turner said. “We have strong leadership from Ben Kogan and Nick Truer, so even though we are a small team, I think we can be a force to be reckoned with.”

After the Rosemead Invitational, the team heads to Cerritos Dec. 29 for the Tournament of Champions.