Girls’ water polo secures undefeated league record

By Alec Caso

The varsity girls’ water polo team is well on its way to achieving another undefeated record in season with a 17-1 record overall and a 7-0 record in league with current head coach Robert Lynn.

Last season the team had an undefeated record of 10-0 in league and a 17-6 record overall under former head coach Larry Felix.

The team beat Notre Dame, Alemany, Marymount, Louisville and Flintridge Sacred Heart during their regular season last year. The team also made it to the first round of CIF and then lost to Whittier 19- 20 at Harvard-Westlake. Outside of league the team played an additional 13 games making their overall record 17-6. The team lost a lot of its games to Division I, II and III teams in the Mistletoe and Irvine classics.

This year the team has almost doubled in size, and they feel very confident about their chances of making CIF.

“We have had a great season, Robert Lynn is a great coach and we have bonded as a team,” Camille Hooks ’11 said.

This season, the team played their first game against Long Beach Millikan and won 18-4. They then continued to participate in the Mistletoe tournament, where they won all five of their games. They played Santa Ynez, Hipomo, Cabrillo, Westlake and Rio Mesa and ended up winning the tournament. The team’s loss of some players in their earlier games due to injury has not hindered their success.

“We weren’t really affected by our team’s injuries. We have done well all season but our league is really not challenging,” Grossman said.

The Wolverines’ only loss outside of league was at the Irvine tournament over this past weekend. In their game against

Murrieta Valley the team lost for the first time this year 10-11 in the third round of over time. They continued to win the next four games after playing Esperanza twice.

“This past weekend was a little disappointing but if we could play teams like Murrieta in every game we would be a much better team,” Lynn said.

The team only has three more games this season in league. The team beat Marymount in Monday’s game 19-5 and played Alemany on Tuesday. The team’s next game will be against Flintridge Sacred Heart at 4 p.m. this Thursday at Harvard-Westlake. The team has already set its sights on CIF.

“I am confident about our chances in CIF, the girls are doing really well and are in great shape,” Lynn said.