Boys’ golf drops two to Crespi

By Austin Block

Early in the season, the boys’ golf team has played in two tournaments and compiled a 2-3 overall record.

The team hosted the Harvard-Westlake Invitational at Saticoy Country Club in Camarillo on March 8 and placed 15th out of 16. It finished in 13th out of 15 at the Servite Tournament at Western Hills Country Club in Chino.

“I think by the end of the year, playoffs are definitely within reach, and depending on the development of some of the younger players, like [Max] Goodley ’12, [Royce] Ryu ’12 and Andrew Sohn ’13, we can compete,” Head Coach Scott Wood said.

The team lost its first match 221-213 to Notre Dame on March 9 and then came back to defeat the same team by 23 shots two days later, 198-221. Both matches were played at Lakeside Country Club. The Wolverines then lost two matches to Crespi on March 16 and March 18. They then defeated Alemany on March 23.

“Golf is always up and down, it’s a long season and a lot can happen,” Wood said. “We have to be prepared to take our lumps and move on. Against Notre Dame, it was a very windy day at Lakeside, which is a tough course. I think we may have been a little down after our performances in the tournaments, but the guys, to their credit, took it in stride, put it behind them and came to play two days later.”

The team is led by Captain Jeff Wibawa ’10, who will play on scholarship for Rice University next year. The American Junior Golf Association’s Polo Golf Rankings ranks Wibawa 55th in the country.

“He has taken a big role this year, mentoring some of the younger players and leading them in off season workouts,” Wood said. “He is an outstanding young man who has learned a great deal from the great players before him and he is ready and willing to pass along his knowledge to help his team.”

Wood said Charlie Benell ’12, who finished 3rd in the Mission League last year as a freshman, has also stepped up to lead the team.

“Each player is different, with different strengths and weaknesses, however all need to work on their mental toughness and preparation to achieve success,” Wood said.”We are trying to peak at the right time, so every win or loss is experience and a lesson for us.”