CIF honors wrestlers at Angel Stadium

By Catherine Wang

The varsity wrestling team was honored at an Angels game on April 27 for having the highest average un-weighted GPA among high school wrestling teams in Southern California. The CIF Academic Champions Ceremony honored the teams with the highest average GPA among Southern California teams in their respective sports.

The top female and male teams in the small school and big school category were honored for each sport. Harvard-Westlake won in the small school category.

Wrestlers Nick Treuer ’10, Patrick Newman ’10, Russell Wolfe ’12, Brandon Chen ’12, and coach Gary Bairos attended the ceremony.

“Anyone on the team could go to the ceremony,” Wolfe said. “I thought it was pretty cool.”

The team, whose average un-weighted GPA is 3.4, was honored before the game began, and seniors Treuer and Newman took a picture behind home plate holding the “big blue” banner they received as their award.

None of the team stayed for the game.

“I wish we went to a Dodger game instead,” Newman said.

The players appreciated the recongition for their accomplishments.

“We have a small team with a lot of really smart kids, so it’s nice we were recognized,” Newman said.

Last year, the team’s average GPA was second highest in Southern California.

“We knew we had a really good chance of winning the award this year,” Newman said.

This award culminates a successful season for the wrestling team. Team captain Treuer won the individual CIF Coastal Section championship in the 152-pound class in February by pinning the top seed in the first period of the final.

“I think it speaks highly of our team that we were honored both athletically and academically,” Treuer said.