Mothers, daughters do lunch

By Erin Moy

At the Senior Girls’ event May 8 at the Skirball Center, a Nevada Congresswoman advised senior girls and their mothers to take part actively in the democratic process and take advantage of educational opportunities.

Upon arriving at the annual luncheon, senior girls and their mothers were greeted by a photographer at the entrance to a courtyard.

The photographer took the mothers and daughters’ pictures before they headed into the courtyard.

A floral theme was prevalent at the luncheon, with flowery decorations on the courtyard walls. Student jazz musicians Jordan Bryan ’11, Chris Freedman ’12, Brooke Levin ’12 and Noah Weinman ’12 performed in the courtyard while the girls and their mothers mingled outside before lunch.

Once inside, the floral theme continued at the tables, with floral centerpieces that matched the invitations the guests received the mail.

Along with the centerpieces, the tables were decorated with pink tablecloths and napkins.

After everyone was settled in at their tables, senior girls from the Bel Canto choir and the Chamber Singers sang while the first course was served.

Then Shelley Berkley, the aunt of Megan Fleming ’10, spoke about her journey to the House of Representatives.

Berkeley humorously reecounted to the crowd the story of her family’s journey from the East Coast to Nevada, which was punctuated with the audience’s laugher. Berkeley ended on a serious note.

“When one door closes, a window opens,” Berkley quoted her mother as saying, while she discussed getting involved in the democratic process.

The luncheon wound down with a dessert that included cupcakes, chocolate-covered strawberries and cookies.

As the pairs of mothers and daughters departed, they were invited to take the centerpieces from their tables, as well as pick up their pictures, that were placed in silver frames that were engraved with “Harvard-Westlake 2010.”