Football prepares for return to tough Mission League

By Judd Liebman

The Wolverines beat the Sylmar Spartans 24-14 Friday night, putting them on a two-game winning streak.

The offense, primarily led by quarterback Max Heltzer ’11 and running back Jamias Jones ’12, drew first blood after a 70-yard drive capped by a 25-yard field goal by kicker Will Oliver ’11.

A turnover-laden second quarter proved not to be an issue for the Wolverine defense. After a Harvard-Westlake fumble on the goal line recovered by Sylmar, the Spartans failed to convert. In fact, Sylmar lost control of the ball after a fumble recovered by the Wolverines. The drive ended in Heltzer throwing an interception.

The Wolverines went into the locker room at halftime with a 10-0 lead after Heltzer threw a four-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Noor Fateh ’11.

The Spartans ended the second half with an 80-yard drive ending in a three yard touchdown by their running back. This drive was countered by Jones’ 90-yard kick return for a touchdown.

Heltzer connected with Fateh for his second touchdown of the game. Fateh was on the receiving end of a 12-yard touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone.

Sylmar scored once more before the end of the game, finishing the 24-14 Wolverine victory.