Track star Hansson chooses Duke

By Luke Holthouse

Three-time All-American sprinter Lauren Hansson ’11 has committed to Duke University. Duke’s Division I Women’s Track and Field team was ranked fourth overall in the Southeast Region last year.

Hansson is currently on both the cross country and the track and field teams, but she plans to focus on track in college.

She officially visited Duke three weeks ago and immediately felt that she had found the right place.

“It was kind of a gut decision,” Hansson said. “I just felt like I fit. I felt like a Blue Devil.”

She was impressed by Duke’s campus, dorms and scientific research facilities. She plans on studying science as well as Latin at Duke.

Hansson was guaranteed a spot on Duke’s 4×400 relay team as a freshman, which influenced her decision. She was a part of the Harvard-Westlake 4×400 relay team that finished first overall at CIF Finals last year.

“I want to be competitive in college and on the team,” Hansson said. “Track has been such an amazing part of my life and I love to run.”

Head Track and Field Coach Jonas Koolsbergen described Hansson as a great competitor and an integral part of the track program.

“She’s hugely valuable to this track team,” Koolsbergen said. “Her career has been extraordinary. She’s a great athlete and a great competitor.”

Hansson can now focus on defending the girls’ cross country team’s Division IV state title. She was not a part of the state champion squad last year, but she said she really hopes to graduate with a state championship ring.