Doubles pair’s CIF run ends in semifinals

By Luke Holthouse

After prevailing in the first three rounds, Taylor Coon ’12 and Kei Goldberg ’12 were knocked out of the CIF doubles playoffs in the semifinals Thursday, officially ending the girls’ tennis team’s season. The team finished 12-5 overall and 8-0 in league.

The Wolverines opened CIF team playoffs with a win against Palos Verdes in the first round Nov. 11, but their team playoff run was cut short by a second round loss to Woodbridge on Nov 13.

Singles and doubles playoffs began CIF Individual playoffs the following week. Kristina Park ’13 and Savannah de Montesquiou ’13, the team’s two singles representatives in playoffs, lost in the first round and second round, respectively. The team of Katherine Belgrad ’11 and Alanna Klein ’11 and the team of Coon and Goldberg made up the team’s two representatives in the doubles playoffs. Belgrad and Klein were beat in the second round.

Despite losing four seniors including one its top doubles pair, the team is excited about defending its league title next year.

We’re going to miss our seniors a lot next year,” Sophie Gunter ’14 said. “But I’m really excited to grow as a team and bring the momentum we have from this year to next year.”