SAAC, Fanatics film fan behavior video in Taper

By Austin Block

The Student Athletic Advisory Council, in conjunction with the Fanatics, filmed a video to encourage fan attendance and promote good fan behavior at break in Taper Gymnasium on Monday, Dec. 6.

The Fanatics created a Facebook event asking students to come to the gym wearing Fanatics T-shirts. A SAAC member also requested on the event page that 10 to 15 students wear blue shirts to play the role of rival Loyola fans in the video. SAAC member Tiana Woolridge ’11 said the film shoot went well.

“We had not as many people as we expected, but we were still able to simulate different scenarios,” she said

They simulated several different scenes from a basketball game with basketball players Jordan Butler ’11, Damiene Cain ’11, Danilo Dragovic ’11, and Zena Edosomwan ’10. Other students played the roles of both Harvard-Westlake fans and fans of an imaginary opposing team. The scenes were intended primarily to show the “importance of a fan presence,” which Woolridge said is missing at many Harvard-Westlake sports games, but she said that the video also promotes good fan behavior.

Woolridge and Matt Ward ’11, who filmed the video, will edit the footage. If the footage they shot isn’t enough, they may also film segments with members of the water polo and soccer teams.

“We originally wanted to have it before winter break but there aren’t any more big class meetings before then, so we’re just going to show it in January when we get back to school,” Woolridge said.

They are determined to show the video before the boys’ basketball games in January. Fan turnout and rowdiness is generally high at these games, especially at the games against league rival Loyola.

“We really just want to get fan support, fan presence, and have [fans] cheer on our team,” Woolridge said.