Students share art and music during Arthouse

Students performed music and shared their visual arts portfolios in the school’s first-ever Arthouse during Community Flex Time on Oct. 7. The event acted as a merger of the Art Showcase and Coffeehouse performances held in past years. .

Visual Arts Department Head Gustavo Godoy began the event with a 10-minute webinar mandatory for all students, in which Echo Seireeni ’21 shared her collection of both digital and traditional art, and Shanti Hinkin ’22 sang an excerpt from Phoebe Bridgers’ song “Kyoto.”

“I want to encourage you all to just hang out as a school: no pressure, no assignments, just a time to appreciate the talents of our community,” Godoy said. “Let’s cheer them on and maybe feel inspired.”

Godoy then shared the link to access the showcase portion of the Arthouse . Visual Arts teacher Conor Thompson and Head Prefect Cleo Maloney ’21 hosted the meeting, which nearly 200 students and faculty members attended.

Hinkin presented a full performance of the song she previewed earlier , Ford McDill ’21 performed The Grateful Dead’s song “Ripple” and Amanda Korris ’22 sang The Eagles’ rock ballad “Desperado.”

“I really loved getting the chance to interact with the student body online, and it was an honor to perform,” Korris said. “Even though we couldn’t all be there in person, the warmth of the community was wonderful throughout the event.”

Students interviewed by peers

During the event, artists chose peers to interview them about the inspirations and objectives behind their pieces . Juliette O’Brien ’21 asked Owen Hudgins ’21 about his choice of glazes in his ceramics work.

“A lot of inspiration for those choices comes from within our classroom itself and from Mr. Godoy and all of the glaze work he’s done,” Hudgins said. “I’ve also found myself experimenting randomly because it’s always fun to see how everything is going to come out.”

Digital Managing Editor Kyle Reims ’21 interviewed Tara Neil ’21 regarding her video “The Five Senses,” an artistic narrative accompanied by The Roches’ song “Come Softly To Me.” Olivia Baer ’21 then held a discussion with Garrett Ingman ’21 about the themes expressed in his painting collection, and Mimi Offor ’21 and Allie Landecker ’21 analyzed each other’s photography work.

“The reason why I love Mimi’s work is her incredible use of color,” Landecker said. “I also love how she plays with disorientation through editing choices and upward camera angles.”