Boys’ basketball beats Cerritos in CIF quarterfinals

By Judd Liebman

With a decisive 73-58 win over Cerritos, the boys’ basketball team advanced to the semifinals of the CIF Southern Section Division 3A playoffs.  

The Wolverines executed their game-plan better against the Dons, Head Coach Greg Hilliard said, but he still would like a more post-oriented offense. 

Harvard-Westlake’s inside dominance was clear from the start of the game. In the first half, Cerritos scored 26 points in total, 24 of which were from beyond the arc. The Wolverines countered the Dons’ hot-hands with a good mix of three-point shots and paint points. After a 20-12 second quarter, the Wolverines headed into the locker room with a 39-26 lead.  

The Wolverines utilized center Zena Edosomwan ’12 and forward Damiene Cain ’11 even more as the game went on. Edosomwan finished his night with 21 points and 17 boards. Cain led all Wolverine scorers with 23 points and added 15 rebounds and five blocks.

“When we needed it, we found the two big guys, and [Cerritos] had no answer,” Hilliard said.  
    Burdened with much of the perimeter defensive duties, forward Josh Hearlihy ’12 scored 15 points in the game. 

Guard Jordan Butler ’11 was forced to sit on the bench due to foul trouble late in the third quarter. Butler was held to only four points and six assists on the night. When Butler went to the bench, the Wolverine bench gave up much momentum to the Dons, who scored eight straight points and pulled within 10 for the first time in the second half. 

The Wolverines pulled away as the Dons’ shooting cooled off. Cerritos only hit two threes in the second half, compared to its eight in the first. 

“[A team] lives and dies by the three,” Hilliard said. “You have to wait until they get tired.”

The Wolverines’ next game is Friday against the winner of the Damien vs. Bonita game at a location to be announced.