Ben Greif ’12

1. If you are running for the Head Prefect Position and do not win will you also run for Senior Class Prefect? If not, why?

I would absolutely run for Senior Class Prefect, I am not one to be easily discouraged.

2. What makes you feel that you are qualified for the position? Please describe any leadership experiences you’ve had, if applicable.

I believe I am qualified for the Head Prefect position due to my ongoing experiences in the First City Rifle Corps, a program dedicated to training young men and women to become leaders through the instillation of personal responsibility, integrity, and confidence. In FCRC, I learned to follow before I learned to lead. As I was taught leadership skills by an ex-special forces lieutenant colonel, I quickly earned recognition for excellence and became our unit’s guidon–the honored flag bearer. Early on in the program, I was chosen to be team leader and was informed that I was being groomed to be the next squad leader, the highest position attainable. Through FCRC, I believe that I have gained the necessary knowledge, experience and confidence to become an effective Head Prefect.

3. How do you feel about the Honor Board and what has led you to feel this way?

I feel that the Honor Board is a great system for resolving Honor Code violations for several reasons. Most importantly, the system of prefect recommendations ensures that the defendant is judged by his peers, who better understand the circumstances or motivations of a fellow classmate. The publication of recommendations is a great check on possible injustices, and enables the student body to evaluate and learn from an alleged infraction.  It also allows future prefects to gain a better understanding of the Honor Board and a foundation of past cases from which they can draw upon.

4. Please describe one thing in Harvard-Westlake’s community you would change. Also, how would you use the influence of the position of Head Prefect to change our community?

As a Head Prefect, I would focus my efforts on improving the food choices and the cafeteria’s effectiveness. I have heard numerous complaints regarding the lack of healthy choices in the cafeteria, I agree whole heartedly that we need healthier choices and would work hard to ensure that the cafeteria also caters to those who are more health-minded. However, I believe that it should be the student’s choice, after all, we are in high school, and in that spirit I would like to remove all restrictions on candy and soda, especially considering the contradictions in allowing items like donuts and ice cream. Similarly in spirit with expanding student’s food choices, I would strive to gain students the ability to get food delivered to school so that they have their own alternatives. Regarding the cafeteria itself, we have all complained about the congestion and the seemingly chaotic and unreliable way that cafeteria workers charge for our food. I would strive to create a dedicated entrance and exit to the cafeteria and a posted menu with prices listed every day as well as bins with pricing labeled for individual items.