Boys’ volleyball suffers early difficulties

By David Gobel

Although the boys’ volleyball team had a difficult start to the season, the Wolverines have rebounded with a strong league record and a 4-1 record in the Dos Pueblos Tournament. Currently the team has a 7-11 overall record and a 2-1 league record.

“After a week and half it came to fruition,” Head Coach Adam Black said. “We limited hitting and passing errors and had success in the Dos Pueblos Tournament.”

Players David Burton ’11 and Damiene Cain ’11 both had time overlaps with basketball that prevented them from playing. They both returned once the basketball season ended. However, Spencer Eichler ’11 has been out periodically with a nagging shoulder injury, and Chase Klein ’13 recently suffered an ankle sprain.

The team began the season with many competitively fought games. However without many key starters, it lost eight out of its first nine games, including a 3-0 loss against Thousand Oaks, the ninth ranked team in Division I. Regardless, the team has had some key league wins against Notre Dame and Chaminade.

Recently, the Wolverines won four straight matches in pool play in the Dos Pueblos Tournament to take the 1st place seed. However, the Wolverines lost a heartbreaker to a talented Bell Prep team 1-2 in the semifinals of the tournament.

The Wolverines lost to Loyola 2-3 at home on Tuesday.