Boys’ golf wins four straight matches

By Daniel Kim

The boys’ golf team has a four game winning streak in the start its season with an overall record of 4-1. The Wolverines beat St. Francis and Alemany both times that they played each team.

“We have a very young team this year, led by junior standout Charlie Benell,” Head Coach Scott Wood said. “We have had great performances as well from junior Max Goodley, sophomore Michael Aronson, freshman Bakari Bolden and senior captain Ernie Zaferis.”

The team also participated in the Chaminade Invitational March 7 and placed fourth, shooting 425.

“Before a big tournament, we are pretty loose as a team,” Wood said, “all the hard work has already been done, so it’s just a matter of relaxing and getting yourself into the space where you can perform your best on that given day.”

Benell shot 78 and finished in second place. Chaminade won the invitational shooting 408, with Santa Barbara in second with 416, Servite in third with 423 overall.

“It [Saticoy Country Club] is a very tough course,” Wood said. “The low individual score for the entire event was 77.”
The team’s only loss came in its first season match against Notre Dame. The Wolverines finished that match with eight strokes over Notre Dame.

“I see the team being very inexperienced and having some small ups and downs this year, trying to figure out their identity,” Wood said, “but I also see them working very hard, competing for a league championship,  and peaking at the end of the season for the playoffs and making a run toward the CIF Team Final and hopefully beyond.”

The team played Chaminade Tuesday but the score was not available at press time. It will play Chaminade again Friday.