Plant Manager Mintz drums in rock group

By David Lim

Middle School Plant Manager Dave Mintz performed as the drummer for the Natalie Wattre Band at Rusty’s Surf Ranch on the Santa Monica Pier Saturday April 22.

Mintz had been drumming with different bands for years and first began playing regularly with the Natalie Wattre Band in 2003.

He was introduced to the lead singer Natalie Wattre, after whom the band is named, by a common friend nearly 20 years ago.

“We played in different bands and over the years I would sing with her and occasionally substitute if their drummer was unable to make a gig,” Mintz said.

The Natalie Wattre Band has played in venues across Los Angeles ranging from The Mint night club to Xen Sushi in Silverlake as well as at farmers markets.

Natalie Wattre founded the band in 1997. It has released two albums since then.

Mintz describes the music the band plays as “straight-up rock and roll.”

“Natalie has a very distinct vocal style, I liken the music to a cross between Janis Joplin and Melissa Etheridge with some other influences in there as well,” he said.

Ever since Mintz picked up the drums in third grade, music has been an important part of his life.

“Music to me has been more than something that you put on in the background,” Mintz said. “It’s spoken to me since I started playing drums 30 years ago. It’s been a terrific release for me to interact with other musicians and I not only enjoy the music I play with Natalie Wattre, but I enjoy the company of everyone else in the band. It’s a good musical experience and it’s a good social experience.”