Boys’ tennis wraps up regular season

By Austin Lee

League Prelims for the boys’ tennis team begin this afternoon at Los Angeles Valley College. The Wolverines are coming off a close 9-9 loss on points against Santa Barbara April 27 and a 17-1 win over Notre Dame the next day.

In the match against Santa Barbara, Jackson Frons ’12 barely defeated Santa Barbara’s singles 2 player, 7-6, and losing to the singles 1 and 3 players, while Sam Hummel ’14 defeated both of his opponents after being substituted in for singles 3. Jeffrey Bu ’12 won three sets for the team, sweeping his opponents, but the team faltered in the doubles, with only 3 sets won.

“Santa Barbara was a bit of a crazy match as we expected certain players to get results who didn’t, and we had some nice surprises who won,” Head Coach Chris Simpson said. “Their doubles were deep and we lost lots of games in those sets.”

The next day, the Wolverines defeated Notre Dame with a lineup that featured many JV players. The 17-1 victory was the 124th consecutive league win under Simpson’s coaching tenure, the second best record in any league in CIF.

Frons and the doubles pair of Matt Wagner ’11 and Harrison Kalt ’13 represented the school at the Ojai tournament April 30, where Frons won his first round and then lost against to the number 2 ranked player Denis Nguyen. The Wagner-Kalt pair reached the quarterfinals of the tournament without dropping a set, but lost against the Peninsula doubles team.

The team has finished the season with a 15-3 overall record and is looking at a 4, 5, or 6 seed placing in CIF Division 1 rankings. CIF playoffs begin May 11 after League Finals May 4.