4 track athletes qualify for State meet

By Julius Pak

The girls’ track and field team brought five of its athletes to the CIF Masters Meet yesterday at Cerritos College. Four runners advanced to the state championships and one earned a title at yesterday’s meet. Of the nine competitors in each event at the Masters meet, only the top five advanced to the state meet.

Amy Weissenbach ’12 repeated her Masters victory last year in the 800-meter with a time of 2:06.18, a new school record. The defending state champion, Weissenbach now also holds the fastest time in the state. Before yesterday’s meet, Weissenbach still held the record in the 800-meter event. She holds five school records in total.

In another record-breaking run, Cami Chapus ’12 placed second in the 1600-meter event, qualifying her for the State meet for the first time. Chapus also qualified to state in the 3200-meter as a runner-up in that event.

The 4×400-meter relay team also qualified to compete in the State meet. Chapus and Weissenbach, with KC Cord ’11 and Lauren Hansson ’11, placed second at yesterday’s meet. This relay team broke another school record, which they had also broken last week at CIF finals.

Hilary King ’11 finished ninth in the long-jump event, jumping 18’0.25″, but did not qualify for state.

The State meet will be at Buchanan High School in Clovis, Calif. on Thursday, June 2.