Football season ends with loss to St. Paul

By Luke Holthouse    

The 2011 varsity football season ended without a trip to playoffs after a 41-28 loss to St. Paul on Friday, Nov. 11. The Wolverines finished the year at 5-5 overall and 1-4 in league.

The Wolverines were plagued by two lost fumbles and several dropped passes on offense. On defense, the Wolverines surrendered several deep plays on third down conversions.

“I wouldn’t say it was the drive to win because I know our guys had it,” defensive end Keith Leonard ’13 said, “I think for us, it was just too many mental mistakes. We just made too many mental errors on defense.”

The Wolverines had a 21-6 lead after the first quarter, but gave up the lead just before halftime and could never regain it.

Receiver Chris Sebastian ’13 led the team on the day with three touchdowns, one on the ground and two through the air. Julian Shabahang ’14 scored the Wolverines’ fourth touchdown off a direct snap in the first quarter.

Though the Wolverines will not make the playoffs for the second year in a row, they improved significantly from their 2-7-1 season last year.

“We just had a lot of stuff go wrong and not a lot of players sell out,” defensive back Cameron Komisar ’12 said, “this year we had a team come together, become one and really work hard every single day to get better.”

Komisar was honored along with teammates JJ Jones ’12, Charlie Porter ’12, Will Reagan ’12, Richard Chung ’12, Duncan Chalfant ’12, Andrew Green ’12 and Wade Clement ’12 before the game as it was Senior Night and the eight were playing the final game of their careers on Ted Slavin Field.