Head football coach steps down after 6 seasons

By Robbie Loeb

Vic Eumont stepped down as head coach of the football team today after six seasons at the helm, according to a statement released by the school.

“After 43 years of coaching, it’s time for me to move to the next phase of my life,” Eumont said. “I love Harvard-Westlake, and I’m proud of what we have accomplished here.”

Eumont will stay with the team as a special advisor, and will continue to teach physical education.

“Coach Eumont is a valued member of our community who has brought pride and respect to our football program,” Associate Head of Harvard-Westlake Audrius Barzdukas said in the press release. “We are happy that he will remain a member of our community and help our football program during this transitional phase.”

A search for Eumont’s replacement as head coach will begin immediately, according to the school’s statement.

In his six seasons with Harvard-Westlake, Eumont accumulated a record of 40-26-2, and reached the playoffs four times. In 2006, he led the team to the Del Rey League Championship and the CIF semifinals, when the team lost to an Oaks Christian team led by current Carolina Panthers quarterback Jimmy Clausen. This past season, the Wolverines finished with a 5-5 record, but missed the playoffs after going 1-4 in the Mission League.

Eumont held a private meeting with his players immediately after school today, which lasted about 15 minutes.

Eumont’s retirement comes as a bit of a surprise, according to players, considering next year’s squad is expected to be the best in years.

Players from the meeting said Eumont cited “his age” and “family reasons” as reasons for his semi-retirement.