Boys’ soccer wins 1st home game of season

By Charlton Azuoma

Going into a home game against Cathedral today, the varsity boys’ soccer team has a record of 3-0, conceding only one goal to Campbell Hall so far.

The team beat the West Ranch Wildcats 3-0 on Dec. 9.

The Wolverines have used their early matches as opportunities to iron out some of their pre-season kinks.

“It’s still early in the season, so we’re still coming together as a team,” center midfielder Alex Goodwin ’12 said. “This year we really have a lot of depth on our team, so we’re able to sub. We just have a lot of young kids who are talented.”

Offensively, the team has been creating opportunities from high crosses into the box. So far this season, the Wolverines have outscored their opponents 9-1.

“We’re bound to score sooner or later because we just have that many options,” Goodwin said.

Defensively, the team kept two clean sheets under the leadership of goalies Wade Clement ’12 and Wiley Webb ’12.

“It’s all about staying organized,” Clement said. “We need to keep improving on communication all around the field.”

Captain Charlie Porter ’12 recently returned to the team after battling a series of nagging injuries that have delayed his return to the pitch.

The team will play the first of its 12 Mission League games at St. Francis on Jan. 4.