Ruggles takes over football program

Former offensive coordinator Scot Ruggles will replace Vic Eumont as the head football coach, the Athletic Department announced in a press release today. Eumont resigned in December after a 5-5 season in his sixth year.

“I look forward to preparing our young men to not only compete, but to succeed in the Mission League,” Ruggles said. “I promise our staff and players will work hard to make Harvard-Westlake extremely proud.”

Ruggles has been coaching football since 2003 when he coached Marshall University as a graduate assistant. Ruggles spent a year coaching the Colorado Crush, an Arena Football League team, and then returned to the collegiate level, coaching at Central Connecticut State University, University of Missouri-Rolla and Harvard University.

“I have grown up around the game of football, and it is a dream come true to take over a program like Harvard-Westlake,” he said.

Last year, Ruggles led an offense which averaged over 350 yards and 31 points per game. In addition to his duties as varsity head coach, Ruggles will teach physical education.

“Coach Ruggles is inspired, cerebral and ambitious, just like our students,” Head of Athletics Audrius Barzdukas said. “He’s demonstrated that he can teach and motivate our players. Under his leadership we will play hard and intelligently. Harvard-Westlake football is in good hands.”