Varsity roundup: March 1st

By Luke Holthouse

All six of the Wolverine teams in action today won their respective competition. 

After falling to Chaminade on Tuesday by a score of 199-201 at the Woodland Hills Country Club, the boys’ golf team beat the Eagles today at the Wilson Harding Golf Course, winning by a score of 194-202. Bakari Bolden ’14 shot two under par (35) on the day. The golf team takes on Crespi next Tuesday at the Encino Golf Course.

Both the boys’ and girls’ track teams beat Alemany today at the first meet of the season for both teams. The girls’ team began its quest to defend its CIF title with a 92-43 victory over the Warriors and the boys’ team won by a score of 73-58. Both teams race at St. Francis next Wednesday. Alex Florent ’15, competing in her first career varsity meet at the Ted Slavin Field track, set a school record in the high jump after she leapt five feet and six inches. 

The boys’ volleyball team earned its first win of the season at Notre Dame today, defeating the Knights 25-21, 27-25, 25-9. The win over their Mission League opponent improved the Wolverines, who play at Thousand Oaks tomorrow, to 1-1 overall and in league.

The home opener for the boys’ tennis team ended in a 12-6 win over Santa Monica. The Wolverines improved to 3-0 on the season. They travel to Irvine on Tuesday to take on University, who defeated the Wolverines in the final of CIF Playoffs last year. 

Finally, the baseball team improved to 4-0 on the year with a 2-0 win over West Ranch in the Easton Tournament. The Wolverines have outscored their four opponents during the tournament by a combined score of 37-7. The Wolverines’ opponent on Saturday in the final of the tournament is to be announced.