Boys’ volleyball beats Thousand Oaks

By Luke Holthouse

The boys’ volleyball team ground out a tough win at Thousand Oaks last night in four games for their second straight victory.

The Lancers, who were without star 6-foot-8 setter Jonah Seif ’12 due to a school-issued suspension and middle blocker Aaron Sorenson ’13 due to illness, got off to a hot start in game one, going up by as many as nine points and winning 25-20. The Wolverines pulled themselves together late in that game to carry the momentum into game two.

The Wolverines went on to win each of the next three games, 25-21, 25-18 and 25-22 behind strong attacking from outside hitter Chase Klein ’13, who Thousand Oaks was seemingly unable to stop throughout the match.

The Wolverines as a team racked up 39 kills, 10 blocks and four aces. The Lancers’ top outside hitter Jason Avina ’12 had a team-high 13 kills, eight digs and two aces, but also 13 hitting errors. The Lancers totaled 50 errors in four games.

Earlier in the week, the Wolverines lost in straight sets to St. Francis but then won in straight sets against Notre Dame, so they now stand at 2-1 overall and 1-1 in the Mission League. 

The Wolverines continue non-league play this Wednesday when they host Glendale for the team’s first home game.