Sophomore golfer shoots 5-under to gain MVP honors

By Robbie Loeb

Bakari Bolden ’14 shot the round of his life, a 5-under 67, at the boys’ golf Mission League Individual Second Round at Wilson Harding Golf Course this morning to take home Mission League MVP honors.

The sophomore stood 3-under before bogeying on the 13th hole. He recovered with birdies on four of the final five holes to win the tournament by a single stroke.

Bolden’s previous 18-hole low round was a 68 in last year’s League Finals.

“It’s an amazing experience and I’m still taking it all in right now,” he said. “I’m excited to see what else I can do in two more years. I really need to thank my captain Charlie Benell [’12] for being my role model for the past two years.”

Benell posted an even par for the round to take seventh place. With their strong performances at the Individuals, Benell and Bolden will advance to the CIF Individuals. There are four individual rounds including League Finals that lead up to state and the top golfers from each round advance to the next round.

“[Advancing to the next round] is a big deal for me because my goal for this year is to make it to state, so I am that much closer to reaching my goal,” Bolden said. “Honestly, my goal is to make it as a team, but of course I am happy with my performance. If the team doesn’t make it, I will play with them in my heart.”

At Monday’s Mission League Team Finals, the Wolverines finished third, placing them second in league behind Loyola and earning them a spot in the next round.

The team format is similar to individuals, with four rounds including League Finals that lead up to the state tournament. Of the six golfers on each team, the top five scores are counted and the teams with the lowest composite scores advance.

The team plays its next round on Monday, and the following Monday is the next round for individuals.