Boys tennis knocked out in semifinals

By Luke Holthouse

With a second consecutive trip to the Championship match of Div. I CIF Finals on the line, the boys’ tennis team fell to Corona Del Mar today at Los Angeles Valley College. The semifinal loss ended the season for the Wolverines as well as the high school careers of five different team members.  

The Wolverines lost by a final score of 12-6. They lost five of six sets in the first round, took four of six sets in the second round, then dropped five of the six sets of the third and final round. 

A win would have pushed the Wolverines to the final round of playoffs, where they would have met University High School of Irvine. The Wolverines fell to University last year by a score of 14-4 in CIF Finals and had already lost to University twice this season by a combined score of 18-4.

The win for Corona Del Mar was a bit of redemption for the Sea Kings, who lost to the Wolverines in the quarterfinals of playoffs last year by a score of 10-8 and lost to the Wolverines earlier this year by a score of 10-8. 

The team will graduate singles starters Jeffrey Bu ’12 and Jackson Frons ’12 as well as the starting doubles pair of Adam Williams ’12 and Jamie West ’12. Backup Austin Hopp ’12 will also graduate.