World Languages Department honors select students with awards ceremony

James+Peace+III+%E2%80%9924%2C+who+studied+Chinese+at+the+Upper+School%2C+stands+with+Upper+School+World+Languages+teacher+Bin+He.+Peace+was+one+of+two+seniors+nominated+for+the+Outstanding+Senior+award+in+Chinese.+
Connor Tang
James Peace III ’24, who studied Chinese at the Upper School, stands with Upper School World Languages teacher Bin He. Peace was one of two seniors nominated for the Outstanding Senior award in Chinese.

The school held the 2024 Honors World Language Assembly to present awards to students who excelled in Honors Language classes this year in Rugby Auditorium on May 21. Any student with a grade of at least a B+ in an Honors Language class or at least an A- in a Regular Language class was invited to be inducted into their respective language’s honor society. The ceremony also gave special distinctions to students who had shown their dedication to the language they studied. Around 200 students were inducted into the Honors Society.

Camille Weinstein ’24, who was given special recognition in the studies of Spanish, said the distinction made her proud of her hard work.

“I was honored to be recognized as I have worked very hard in Spanish at the Upper School and also enjoyed my classes,” Weinstein said. “My work has led to this important milestone, and my teachers have also seen my hard work and progress.”

Weinstein said the Honors Language Society recognition makes students more aware of the importance of world language classes.

“I think students should be recognized to motivate them to study world languages further, whether that be in the next year or beyond,” Weinstein said. “Sometimes, studying world languages can be overlooked, and I think awards like these can help reinforce the benefits of learning about other languages and cultures.”

Robert Hinton ’24, who led the Chinese induction oath and received special recognition in the studies of Chinese, said giving the oath was an important moment in his journey as a language student.

“I felt very honored to be able to represent all the Honors Chinese students,” Hinton said. “Chinese has been very difficult but fun for me. With amazing teachers, I was able to expand my Chinese potential. Leading everyone in the pledge felt like a culmination about all of this.”

Hinton said he felt surprised and honored to receive his award.

“It was the best way possible to finish off my journey as a school language learner,” Hinton said. “I have been through a lot while learning Chinese, so I thought the recognition was amazing coming from the Chinese teachers I have enjoyed learning under so much.”

Brando Bowse ’26, who was inducted into the Spanish Honors Society, said the ceremony was an impactful experience.

“It was a very formal way to induct all of us into the Honors Society,” Bowse said. “The whole process had a lot of weight to it, and the Language Department did a good job organizing all the inductions.”