Seniors bring mariachi band onto campus for senior prank

Connor Tang
Members of the Class of 2024 hired a mariachi band to come to campus during lunch as a senior prank May 24.

Members of the Class of 2024 hired a mariachi band to come to campus during lunch as a senior prank May 24. The mariachi band walked around and played throughout the entire campus, including academic buildings and department offices.

Annabelle Mass ’24 said she reached out to the mariachi band after being encouraged by seniors to assist with the logistics.

“People on the Quad were saying we need a prank,” Mass said. “Someone eventually said, ‘I want a mariachi band,’ and I said, ‘I’ll find one.’ I ordered it to cover lunch, and everyone was so excited. I just wanted everyone to have fun, and this was the most together I have ever seen the school.”

Kannan Reddy ’26, who was taking a math test as the band made its way through Chalmers Hall, said he found the prank entertaining and his testing experience was not overly disturbed.

“When I heard all of the noise, I was trying to figure out how to do limit notation, so it was an interesting experience,” Reddy said. “My teacher gave me and everyone else taking the test 15 extra minutes, so I don’t think it hurt anybody. I found the whole thing mildly entertaining, and I think we should do it again next year, but maybe not during finals week.”

Latinx and Hispanic Student Organization (LAHSO) Leader Omar Rivera ’24 said he talked with Mass before she hired the band to ensure it was culturally appropriate.

“[Mass] approached me saying she was thinking about bringing a mariachi band as a senior prank to end the year with a bang,” Rivera said. “She asked me and a few other LAHSO leaders to make sure that we didn’t think bringing the band to school was culturally insensitive, and I appreciated that. I told her it was very appropriate and all light-hearted with good intent.”

The mariachi band walks out of Rugby Hall after playing in the English Department office. (Connor Tang)