Football beats El Camino Real High School

Claire Conner

The football team beat El Camino Real High School 52-7 to continue its 3-0 streak Friday. They narrowly defeated St. Genevieve High School 20-19 in their season opener on March 12 and beat Salesian High School 48-29 on March 19. 

The decisive victory against El Camino Real solidifies the Wolverines’ continuous upward trend as they progress through a season delayed by COVID-19 restrictions. 

The team dominated from the beginning of the game, with a successful combination of methodical drives and big plays contributing to a 28-0 lead by the end of the first quarter. 

Offensive and defensive lineman Sonny Heyes ’22 said the team’s hard work has produced great results at the start of the season. 

“The team is so dedicated in practicing, watching film, lifting and studying plays, and that commitment is what we’re seeing pay off this season,” Heyes said. “It feels great to be 3-0: it gives us drive to keep a clean slate and keep racking up wins.” 

Echoing Heyes’s sentiments, kicker and defensive back Alex Mogollón said months of rigorous practice and team building led to the Wolverines’ success. 

“This victory against El Camino showed what happens when we play to our strengths and execute together as a team,” Mogollón said. “The influence of the new coaching staff, especially Coach Huerta, can not be understated. That, along with the talent and love for the game that all our players have, has played a key role in our successes this season.”

At the end of the first half, the Wolverines had reached an assertive 49-7 lead, giving younger members of the team a chance to get on the field. 

Heyes said that giving this opportunity to lowerclassmen was not only a way to develop the future of the program but also boosted the morale of the entire team. 

“The best result of a decisive win is when the lowerclassmen get playing time, deservedly so with the effort they put into practice,” Heyes said. “The energy on the sideline is unmatched when the younger guys start getting out there and making plays.” 

The team will face St. Anthony High School on April 3, and Mogollón hopes they will continue adding to the momentum they have built so far. 

“Looking forward, we want to focus on playing smart football,” Mogollón said. “Playing together and with discipline will be important if we want to continue playing at a high level. We’re excited to take on St. Anthony next week, and will continue to work hard in preparation for this big game.”