HW Jazz hosts fourth lunch concert featuring professionals

Lyla Kavanagh
Students and faculty gather in the Chalmers performing arts room Dec. 14 for the fourth lunch concert of the year. Parents provided refreshments and invited professionals played multiple sets.

Jazz Club hosted four professional jazz musicians from the Los Angeles (LA) area for their fourth Lunch Concert on Dec. 14. Attendees listened to the jazz quartet while complementary hot chocolate and Krispy Kreme donuts were served outside.

Taylor Gamradt ’26 said she enjoyed listening to the musicians’ individual playing styles.

“My favorite part [of the performance] was listening to the bassist,” Gamradt said. “He spoke the notes as he played them, which I thought was really unique and interesting. [It] showed how much command he had over the instrument.”

Upper School Performing Arts Teacher Chris Sullivan said the concerts give students a chance to listen to professional jazz musicians perform live.

“I’m constantly trying to get students to go out and see this music live, whether it’s at a Big Potato [or] the Hollywood Bowl,” Sullivan said. “I realized everyone has such a busy life, and it’s easier said than done. I just had a thought about switching that and bringing people in here. I just want to get our students in front of this music live.”

Gamradt said listening to the performers motivated her to continue practicing.

“[The performance] inspired me to improve on my improvisation,” Gamradt said. “[The quartet] communicated with their music. When one person got louder, everybody followed. It was cool to see how their dynamics changed throughout the concert.”

Tina Raymond, a visiting drum player who performed at the jazz lunch, and a professor of Jazz Studies at the California State University of Northridge said she enjoys the unspoken connection between jazz musicians when performing.

“[I enjoy] the communication without words, the energetic exchange of the musicians on stage and the energetic exchange of the audience with the musicians,” Raymond said. “We’re having a conversation about life and about energy without using words. It’s pretty cool.”