New year, new me?

Buddy+the+Wolverine+cries+over+his+math+homework.+Buddy+is+taking+Advanced+Precalculus+and+learning+inverse+trigonometry+has+him+in+the+trenches.+
Illustration by Amelia Chiarelli
Buddy the Wolverine cries over his math homework. Buddy is taking Advanced Precalculus and learning inverse trigonometry has him in the trenches.

2023 will be over soon , and I would like to ring in the new year with some New Year’s resolutions . As a Harvard-Westlake student, there’s nothing more important to me than finding new ways to strive for perfection, so I’ve compiled a list of goals to meet in 2024. And don’t worry, I’ve kept them realistic this year.

1. Be fit enough to hike up the stairs from the Quad to the library without breaking a sweat. I’ve decided to use my gym’s StairMaster after school daily. If that doesn’t work, I’ll throw in the towel.

2. Get on a first name basis with President Rick Commons. That awkward half-smile I make so that he knows I’m a student who joyfully pursues educational excellence is just not cutting it anymore .

3. Get through a meeting with my math teacher without crying.

4. Get through my math homework without crying.

5. Get through anything related to math without crying. I’ve adopted the rather encouraging motto, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!”

6. Get over six hours of sleep on a school night. This might seem rather bold, but with enough Tylenol PM and a late start day not immediately followed by three tests, I believe it can be done.

7. Order every drink from the newly renovated Starbucks’s menu, starting with an Oleato Golden Foam Cold Brew. I’ve been scared to see what’s become of our beloved Starbucks on Ventura. What better way to start off the year than by taking some risks?

8. Actually have a good Spotify Wrapped. Honestly, my Wrapped this year was almost as embarrassing as the grade I received on my Honors United States History essay. Almost.

9. Actually get work done in the library. If it’s open before the end of the school year, that is.