Alumni office unveils internship program

“New Works”, a program that aims to offer students and alumni job opportunities, will launch in September, announced Senior Alumni Officer Harry Salamandra at the Senior and Faculty Barbeque on Aug. 30.

Salamandra created the project as a new way to reconnect with alumni and parents of current or former students.

Salamanra described it as a “win-win” situation as students and alumni will obtain work experience, while the employer will have someone on staff who “knows how to work.”

A majority of internships are expected to take place during the summer, although some may even be short-term positions to be filled during winter or spring break, Salamandra said.

The reputation of students from Harvard-Westlake is particularly attractive, said Salamandra, and students from this school will be “hugely advantageous” for employers.

“All the hard work you are doing in the classroom will pay off because people love to have you in their businesses working for them, because you communicate well,” Salamandra said. “You know how to take big projects and break it down and really solve problems.”

Those alumni hoping to contribute can find a submission form on the Harvard-Westlake website inviting parents, alumni and friends to post open positions for the alumni office to be able to review.

It is a new way for alumni to give back, Salamandra said.

The project has already sparked interest, and has been in motion for a few years, but his new position in the alumni office allowed Salamandra, to help bring the program to fruition.

Salamandra’s experience with the school will help foster relationships that are now essential in bringing students and alumni together.

This summer Salamandra was able to connect an alumnus with a job position as a computer programmer at a start-up company.

The program was “incredibly successful,” Salamandra said.

Though the program has not been officially launched, there are about twelve verbal commitments from parents and alumni for open positions.

“There will be internships that will be available for every one of you hopefully,” Salamandra told seniors.

The program will encourage exploration of new fields, as experience is not necessary in the areas of certain internships.