Wafl Truck visit, next Coffee House among activities announced at assembly

An all-school assembly today highlighted upcoming opportunities for students, including a breast cancer awareness-themed varsity girls’ basketball game, the date of the second Coffee House of the year and the annual Academic Fair.

The varsity girls’ basketball team invited students and faculty to raise awareness for breast cancer by wearing pink as well as by writing the names of loved ones affected by the disease on pink paper basketballs before their upcoming game against Marlborough on Tuesday. Students are who cannot make the game are invited to participate in the paper basketball activity on Monday during the activities period.

“We know that this disease affects so many people, and we just wanted to honor the victims and the survivors,” Lindsey Tse ’16 said.

In addition, Prefect Council announced that the Wafl Truck will visit campus Jan. 29, the result of a recent student survey. The second Coffee House of the year will take place on Feb. 8.  A sign up form was emailed to students, and up to 18 acts will be allowed. This year’s Academic Fair will be Feb. 17, and students will be able to teachers and students about classes they may enroll in for next year.

Tickets for the winter play “The Madwoman of Chaillot” are available online at the HW Box Office and at the campus bookstore.  Performances will take place from Feb. 5-7 at 8 p.m., 7 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.

Eleanor Halloran ’18 announced the Equality and Economy conference to be held by the Junior State of America Club on Jan. 31. Students with an interest in politics are welcome to attend. Tickets for returning students cost $15 and are $10 for first-time attendees.

British conductor Thomas Ades will lead the Harvard-Westlake Symphony on Feb. 1 as this year’s Brown Family Speaker during an assembly Feb. 1.

Max Rollnick ’16 and Griffin Fenady ’17 honored maintenance worker Roberto Hernandez on behalf of the varsity boys’ soccer team and presented him with a jersey signed by team members in gratitude for his work this year.