Pianists to perform for class

The Kutler Center will host a performance of Igor Stravinsky’s 1913 ballet orchestral piece “Rite of Spring for Piano for Four Hands” Sunday.

This will be the fourth annual performance for the Philosophy in Art and Science course, a Kutler Center class taught by performing arts teacher Ted Walch and math teacher Kevin Weis.

The two-person piece will be performed by 4handsLA pianists Steven Vanhauwaert and Danny Holt.

“They are a huge hit each time,” Walch said of the duo. “Hearing the Rite as transcribed for piano for four hands is almost as exciting as hearing it performed by full orchestra. The acrobatics of the pianists only adds to the fun.”

Holt will be the Kutler Center’s scholar in residence during the two school weeks preceding the performance,.

As scholar in residence, Holt will help to teach the aesthetics of 20th century music to the students in the Philosophy in Art and Science class.

“I am incredibly excited to attend the performance,” Javi Arango ’16 said. “We are so fortunate to have the opportunity to hear two amazing pianists playing one of the most important pieces of the 20th century.”

The performance will be prefaced with a lecture on Stravinsky by former Harvard-Westlake parent and morning show host of Classical Music’s KUSC-FM radio Alan Chapman (Molly ’14, Jake ’12).