Help us make this year fun

As Master Oogway states, “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.” Though  a humorous aside from Dreamworks’ “Kung Fu Panda”, this quote, we believe, holds true here in our everyday experiences at Harvard-Westlake.

It is easy to reflect on past years, even easier to speculate as to what lies ahead in future years, but often we overlook the present year amidst the day-to-day grind of high school.

In light of that fact, how do we resolve this issue? Simple as it may sound, we want to make this year fun.

We want to take advantage of all that we are capable of to seize the present and the fun it has to offer. But how do we most effectively accomplish this?

The answer is it requires all of you; it requires more direct communication and participation amongst all students from all facets of our community.

Some ways in which we believe that we can achieve this are: opening up more streamlined networks of communication or media through which the Prefect Council and the administration are more accessible; hosting more frequent inter-grade activities or events to further break down any remnants of an already weakly divided student body; and bringing in more off-campus food to remedy the monotony of the cafeteria.

However, these are simply our ideas.

Ultimately, we want to hear from

you, the students, who make up our entire community.

You

are the key necessary to open up the gift of this present year.

So we welcome you all to the school year of 2012-2013!

Let us help you to facilitate the success of your goals, and help us come together as a collective, cohesive community because, after all, what is a gift if you have no one to share it with.

— Katie Lim ’13

and Michael Wagmeister ’13

Head Prefects