Strong season led by seniors

Following a string of three consecutive match wins and two top-three finishes at Mission League tournaments, the boys’ golf team is heading into the end of their regular season second in league standings.

The team has amassed a 7-1 overall record and 4-1 league record and is looking toward a CIF victory. Led by strong performances by Alex Hong ’19 and co-captains Dylan Wan ’18 and Chase Rosenblatt ’18, they also secured second place in their latest Mission League Tournament at Griffith Park April 16.

Clay Skaggs ’20 said that the team has bonded and come together in the season.

“We have a really great bunch of people, and almost everybody works well together,” Skaggs said. “Everybody has a sense of humor, and it keeps practices really fun. Having a team in which you feel comfortable can make a big difference to your playing despite it being an individual sport just because if you are relaxed, you tend to play a lot better.”

Boys’ Golf Program Head Coach Tony Kewal agreed with the value of good relationships.

“For me, as we are closing our season out, I want to make sure that they’ve all gotten to know each other well and had a good time,” Kewal said. “The golf will take care of itself. We all have our good and bad days, but the sport goes on.”

There are six seniors on the team, so the team has a strong sense of leadership this year. Kewal said it is important that the upperclassmen pair with underclassmen during practices in order to mentor them throughout the season.

“I make sure the less experienced players are given help when needed and everybody has fun,” Wan said. “It might sound weird that I want everybody to be having fun, but I believe that best way to play well is to be enjoying what you’re doing.”

David Rich ’18 said that regardless of scoring, they feel that everybody has a role on the team that matters.

“This year on the team, I am more of a captain and assistant coach,” Rich said. “As a senior, I inspire the underclassmen with enthusiasm. I don’t contribute to the scores in the matches as much as I do to the team bonding, but I help to keep everyone motivated.”

Wan said the team was successful but that the team could individually improve. As a graduating senior, this is Wan’s last season playing Wolverine golf.

“We’ve done very well this year, we’re second place in league right now, and that’s phenomenal,” Wan said. “If anything, we could all improve on our own game, meaning we can go out and practice more on our own time. We do have the potential. I think if every player can be the best version of themselves when we go out and compete, we can beat any team in our district.”

The team’s last tournament for the Mission League is May 2 at Lakeside Golf Club.