School counselor and humanities teacher retires

After a 27-year tenure working at Harvard Westlake, School Counselor and Humanities Teacher Luba Bek will retire at the end of this school year.

She is looking forward to spending the next chapter of her life with her wife, she said, but will miss many aspects of the school, especially the students.

“The students have always been my favorite part [of Harvard-Westlake],” Bek said. “Every year, every kid that comes brings something new. [They] are going to change the world, and I hope it’s for the better.”

Tina McGraw ’01 will be replacing her next year. Bek said she is ecstatic that a former student will be continuing her legacy.

Peer Support coordinator Jake Neuman ’18 said he looks at Bek’s departure as bittersweet and will miss her unconditional support.

“[Bek] embodies a wonderful mix of dedication and hard work with playfulness, and this defines her unique character,” School Psychologist Dr. Sophie Wasson said. “She listened attentively and respectfully, responded with kindness and knew how and when to push each student’s limits.”

Wasson said she will greatly miss Bek’s contribution to the Peer Support program and her ability to value the seriousness of her work while always making the effort to remain both joyful and funny.

“Her leadership in Peer Support will always be remembered and we will work hard to carry on her legacy,” Wasson said.