Francine Werner to retire

History teacher Francine Werner will retire after 44 years of teaching, 16 of which she spent at Westlake School for Girls.

Werner said that her favorite classes to teach were World and Europe II, government classes, Advanced Placement United States History and a class that combined government and post-World War II history that she taught at Westlake. Werner said that she plans to keep up with political events and perhaps get involved in government during retirement.

Werner said that moving from a high-energy job to a relaxed lifestyle will be a big transition, and she will miss her students and colleagues.

“It’s a phase of life that I am totally unprepared for,” Werner said. “I think there will be times when it is a little lonely and times when it will be a little dull. I am used to the environment with lots and lots of stuff going on and lots of conversations going on. Being in the classroom has been fun. Being in this office has always been joyful. But, I think I am ready to not be in the hubbub all the time.”

History teacher Katherine Holmes-Chuba will miss having Werner on campus as a supportive team member and source of advice, she said.
“She always comes in with a smile,” Holmes-Chuba said. “It is also always fun to talk politics with her because she is so tuned into the world around her. Also, [I will miss] just teaching with her, because she has been an amazing colleague.”

Similarly, John Cahill ’20 said Werner has enriched his experience in the classroom.

“I love her genuine caring and understanding for her students,” Cahill said. “That’s what I’ll miss most.”